If you are looking for the perfect baby shower gift, here is an easy baby hat sewing pattern for you! This DIY baby hat comes from preemie to 24 months in size and can be made in just 4 steps!
So, I have been releasing patterns after patterns for babies. As I have stated earlier, there are endless things you can sew for babies and now I have come up with another necessary item for your little cutie, an easy DIY baby hat.
If you are wondering how to sew this easy baby hat, I will show you how to make it in just 4 steps. And, if you have trouble sewing with knits, don’t worry I will give you all the instructions to make sewing with knits a breeze for you.
This easy baby hat sewing pattern comes in four sizes. If you know how to sew a curved seam, you are skilled enough to sew one quickly! You can recycle your old t-shirts to sew hats for your little one. In fact, you will get prettier colors and prints by doing so!
If you would like to sew a knit dress for your little one, click on the picture below:
Easy Baby Hat Sewing Pattern/ Sew in 4 Steps
Guidelines for Sewing with Knits.
- Spread out your knit fabric on a large flat surface for cutting. This prevents it from getting stretched and distorted.
- Secure the pattern pieces by using ballpoint pins or pattern weights. This would keep the knit fabric underneath from moving and would keep it in place.
- Use polyester thread or a cotton-polyester thread to allow for stretch.
- A ball-point needle is a must for sewing with knits.
- Use a narrow zigzag stitch for necklines, armholes, and hems. You may use a straight stitch for the side seams. Try stitching on a double layer of scrap before sewing on your actual fabric.
- Take care not to stretch the fabric while sewing. Hold the fabric up to keep it flat near the machine. If you have an option in your machine to reduce the pressure of the presser foot, that would be great too.
- Since knit fabrics do not ravel, you don’t need a serger. But if you need a professional finish and you have just an ordinary machine, you may go ahead and use the zigzag for the finish.
- *All the fabrics used here are of 58- inches width. You may require extra if your fabric is not as wide as this.
- *The fabrics shown here are only for illustration purposes and as such may vary from the original.
- *I suggest you read the entire pattern once before starting to get a general idea
- ¼ yard of jersey knit or interlock knit fabric (or any other knit fabric with a 4- way 50% stretch ($7.49 per yard at Joann = $1.87 per ¼ yard))
- Sewing Machine
- Ballpoint needle for knit fabrics
- Matching stretch thread
- Sewing pins or clips
- Standard sewing scissors
- Cutting mat and ruler, measuring tape or ruler
- PDF Baby Hat Pattern. * Enter your e-mail address and click the subscribe button to start downloading the template automatically.
Skill Level: Beginner
- Approximate time to complete: 20-30 minutes
- Approximate cost to make: $0.94 (you can make 2 hats from ¼ yard of fabric for the 6-12 months and smaller)
Approximate Finished Measurements (Hat Band Unfolded)
Step-1 Cutting The Pieces
Step-2 Preparing The Baby Hat Main
Step-3 Preparing The Baby Hat Band
Step- 4 Attaching the Baby Hat Band to The Baby Hat Main
- Tip: You can make your little one wear the hat with the band unfolded for a slouchy look or with the band folded for a more fitted look.
Pin it for later here,
You are all finished. Give the baby hat to a friend’s baby or make a few for your own!