Fabric Headband (Free Sewing Pattern)

Sharing is caring!

If you have been hoarding scraps of fabric in the hope that you will someday be able to put them to use, you will love this cloth headband sewing pattern!

This takes less than 1/8  yard of fabric and is a very good way of using the leftover fabric from a dress to make a matching accessory. It will keep the hair out of your face while adding a touch of style.

With just a  few quick steps involved, this project is sure to delight beginner and experienced seamstresses alike.

This cloth headband can be seen in a wide variety of fabrics like cotton, eyelet fabric, chiffon, and even knit fabric. You can experiment with the width of the headband to get interesting results that suit your style.

Choose from different patterns like floral, polka dot, zebra prints or stripes. So what are you waiting for? Grab your sewing notions and join me as I walk you through every step of this BlissfulSewing project!

Sewing Pattern

Materials
1. 1/8 yard of any medium weight fabric of your choice. If you want to make it wider,
choose one that is flowing like chiffon or lightweight cotton.

2. 3/8 inch elastic – you will need a strip that is 6 ½ inches long

3. Sewing Machine and sewing notions.

Size
Finished size is 21 inches. Fits teen to adult head. You can make it wider too as shown in
pink polka dot above.

Cut two strips of fabric. The bigger one is 16 ½ inches long and 4 ¼ inches wide. The smaller one is 2 ¼ inches wide and 12 inches long. If making the wider version shown in pink polka, cut the bigger one 16 ½ inches long and 8 ½ inches wide

Take the smaller band, fold in the two longer edges by 1/4 of an inch and iron it down

Fold the band lengthwise along the middle again and iron it down.

Your band will look like this now.

Sew the fold shut close to the edge. Sew along the other longer side too to make your band look uniform.

Using a safety pin start inserting the elastic into the band you just made

When the elastic reaches the level of the opening, sew back and forth to hold it in place using a 3/8 inch seam.

Now continue inserting the elastic till it emerges through the opening on the other side, sew back and forth with a 3/8 inch seam.

Your elastic band is now complete

Take the bigger band and fold the longer edge by 1/8 inches, fold again by 1/8 inches and sew it down. Repeat the same with the other long edge.

Your band looks like this now after sewing down both the longer sides

The bands are now ready to be joined together

Take the bigger band and sew a basting stitch ( the longest stitch on your machine) along one of the shorter raw edges taking care not to stitch back and forth at the beginning and end. Cut the thread after leaving a 6-inch tail. Repeat with the other shorter edge

Pull the thread gently to gather the side. Repeat on the other side too.

Keep the elastic band on the right side of the wide band.

Wrap the wide band around the elastic band. You might have to adjust the gathers on the bigger band to make it fit around the elastic band.

Sew leaving a ½ inch seam. Repeat the same steps on the other side.

Your band will now look like this. You can trim the seam to reduce the bulk.

Pull the elastic band as shown to make the seam go inside and stay concealed. Repeat on the other side too

Your headband is now complete!

Pin it for later:

Sharing is caring!

45 Comments

1. May 3, 2012 / 4:28 am

Nice blog and good for a new visitor. just go through the blog and enjoy the article. Thanks for sharing the blog.
    Regards,
    Rothco

2. May 10, 2012 / 7:22 pm

Those are super cute! Definitely going to try this!

3. May 11, 2012 / 11:53 pm

Oh, those are so cute! I found you on WhipperBerry link party!

4. May 12, 2012 / 6:20 pm

These are soooooooo pretty and cute!

5. May 13, 2012 / 11:12 am

Those are cut. Thanks for coming and sharing this with us at The Sunday Round Up.
    Rose

6. Anonymous
    May 13, 2012 / 11:15 am

They look great and I liked the fabrics you picked out!

7. May 13, 2012 / 3:38 pm

Beautiful! How creative of you….Christine

8. May 13, 2012 / 8:17 pm

Thanks for linking up to the "In It To Pin It" linky hosted by Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo and Living In France however it's only for Pinterest links. That way it will only take folks a second to repin your Etsy shop pins.
    Have a great day.

9. May 14, 2012 / 4:23 am

So cute! I know a little girl that would like these 😉
    Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
    xoxo
    Heather

10. May 14, 2012 / 4:12 pm

OOH I love it! I've been thinking I should figure out how to make these, but following your (more experienced) advice should be much easier 🙂 These would make cute gifts too!

11. Anonymous
    May 14, 2012 / 5:28 pm

Thank you! I am going to be teaching my 11 and 7 year old granddaughters to sew this summer. What a perfect project for both of them! Now I just need a project for their 7 yr old brother to sew.

12. May 15, 2012 / 2:00 am

This is such a fun idea!! Could totally match this to any outfit or homemade sundress!! We love this! We're so glad you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks for coming and we hope you'll be back. -The Sisters

13. May 15, 2012 / 11:10 am

LOVE these headbands!!! Super cute!

14. May 15, 2012 / 5:38 pm

Yay! Just in time as I am setting up my sewing area! 🙂

Thank you so much for participating in {Magic of the Mundane}!

15. May 15, 2012 / 8:48 pm

Those are super cute. Great for keeping hair tidy.:)

16. May 16, 2012 / 2:37 am

Thanks so much for being a part of my 100th Seasonal Sundays.

– The Tablescaper

17. May 17, 2012 / 1:56 am

You could sew bunches of these for all of your kids little friends. Great idea!

18. May 19, 2012 / 7:25 pm

An adorable way to accessorize AND use the scraps. Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy. Hope to see you again soon!

19. May 20, 2012 / 9:17 am

How pretty! I love this look, thanks for sharing the turorial!
    Also thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment on my 'one cloth – five ways' post.
    got me to visit you.
    i like your blog! am following you now with gfc and would be honored if you would like to follow back, but no hard feelings if not 🙂
    love
    jutta

20. May 20, 2012 / 12:02 pm

These are gorgeous! I just adore the color and patterns you chose and the simplicity of the project is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo.. can't wait to see what you share next!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

21. May 20, 2012 / 7:28 pm

These are so adorable…I want one 🙂 Thank you for linking up your wonderful ideas & I hope you will stop by & link up to My Favorite Things Friday Party this week too! I look forward to what you have to share!
    XoXo
    Iffy

22. May 27, 2012 / 7:33 am

Thank you for stopping by and I must say those dresses are lovely.

23. Anonymous
    June 13, 2012 / 8:25 am

I am making your Easy Peasy Summer Skirt for a 6-year-old; I would like to make this headband to go with it. How would I change this pattern to make it for her?

Thank-you.

• June 14, 2012 / 12:14 am

Hi,

Measure around her forehead and subtract 1 1/2 inches from it. That should be the final circumference of your headband. Reduce the length from the wide part of the headband and not the elastic part.

24. September 15, 2012 / 2:11 am

TY …I may have to make me some more cuz these stay down in the back and the reason I don't wear headbands often…

25. September 15, 2012 / 2:13 am

TY…I made one and it actually stays down in the back and the reason I don't wear them often…I make have to hit my fabric stash as these took very little. Ty again

26. November 2, 2012 / 9:46 pm

I was planning on making some similar to these this weekend for my shop!!!! Great!!!

27. Anonymous
    April 25, 2013 / 3:10 pm

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

My website; weight loss diet plan for women